Compound feed producers, pre-mixers, integrators, farmers, animals and consumers can benefit from BASF's ongoing research and development committed to feeding the world's growing population.
By offering enzymes (NSP enzymes and phytase), glycine-bound trace elements or glycinates (zinc, copper, manganese and iron-glycinate), vitamins (Vitamin A, D3, B2, E, pantothenic acid and choline chloride), carotenoids (astaxanthin, β-carotene, canthaxanthin, citranaxanthin and C-30 ester), organic acids (formic acid, propionic acid and acid mixtures), clays (mycotoxin binder and anti-caking agent), and conjugated linoleic acid, BASF seeks to nourish more animals and save resources (Table 1).
Table 1: Animal nutrition products from BASF can be used for ruminants, poultry, pigs, aquaculture as well as pets. A large variety of product formulations, concentrations and mixtures is available to meet the needs of livestock producers and to achieve optimum animal performance.
Continuous product development goes hand in hand with modern livestock production demand
With reliable supply of BASF's high-quality, efficient products, the company helps customers to keep their business profitable and preserve resources at the same time. BASF continuously develops novel feed additives to keep animals healthy and productive. Products of such
- Lutrell® for ruminants. It is a special form of the unsaturated omega-6 fatty acid linoleic acid, designed to reduce the strain of lactation on cows. Lutrell keeps cows feeling better while producing more and better quality milk over a longer productive lifetime.
- Novasil™ Plus helps feed manufacturers to make feedstuffs safer while maintaining their nutritive value. It promotes animal health and well-being by binding mycotoxins especially aflatoxins and some fumonisins. Once aflatoxins are bound, the animal no longer suffers from the negative effects caused by them. This is of great benefit to both the livestock farmer and the consumer.
- A full range of pure formic acids, propionic acids as well as mixtures of them are well known in making silage, preserving bulk grains and compound feeds. Appropriate handling measures with regard to feed preservation. Also, hygienic standards ensure spoilage and the loss of resources are controlled to a minimum.
BASF's products are designed to help poultry and swine fully digest the feed and utilise nutrients as well as keeping feed hygienic and fresh. The company provides ingredients that these animals require for growth, vitality and the production of high-quality meat and eggs.
- The pioneering phytase Natuphos®, for example, improves digestion of plant phosphorus. This helps to avoid adding inorganic phosphorus, and preserves resources as well as the environment.
- As the first company to market a phytase for feed more than 25 years ago, BASF has once again set a new standard in feed phytase technology with Natuphos® E. A new generation phytase which helps poultry and swine more efficiently utilise phytate-bound phosphorus, other important nutrients such as proteins and calcium as well as energy. Natuphos E is set to bring a wide range of benefits to the animal feed industry. BASF has begun to launch the product in many countries across the Asia Pacific region since end 2015.
- Natugrain® from BASF has been developed especially to achieve improved bird performance with poultry feeds containing small grains such as wheat, barley, triticale and rye. Trials have also shown that Natugrain® can be effective in corn and soy diets by releasing additional energy. Studies show that BASF Natugrain® is advantageous in minimising the incidence of wet litter for broilers consuming diets containing wheat while improving bird performance and welfare.
- Glycinates complement BASF's offer to the animal nutrition market and allow BASF's customers to source glycinates in a onestopshop solution in combination with other products. Glycinates also perfectly enrich the company's product range with regard to their sustainability contribution: they do not only increase the nutritive value of animal diets through optimal trace element utilisation and outstanding compatibility with other nutrients, but also minimise the excretion of trace elements through better absorption. Consequently, BASF's glycinates minimise emissions, promote vital growth of animals and increase efficiency.
BASF feed additives, such as carotenoids, support poultry birds by enhancing fertility and boosting immunity. For their sensory improving properties, Lucantin®, is incorporated into feeds to give eggs their appealing yellow orange yolks and broiler chickens their appetizing golden skin texture. In regards to fish ponds and marine aquacultures, BASF's products are often used. The company's carotenoids enable the pigmentation of salmon, trout and shrimp in aquaculture. Vitamins, enzymes and organic acids ensure excellent performance through rapid, vital growth of fish and shellfish.
In addition, BASF is an innovative and well-known supplier of feed additives for dairy cow nutrition and addresses the needs of dairy farmers with a broad portfolio including cost-/ benefit- calculators, silage films, cow mattresses and hygienic flooring solutions.
With its global research network with renowned animal nutrition research institutes and its own research and development programmes, BASF Animal Nutrition is ideally placed to find practical solutions for efficient livestock production.