February 16, 2010


Diseased pork uncovered in some Chinese regions

 


The Chinese State Administration of Industry and Commerce issued an urgent notice to consumers that 'diseased pork' is being sold in some regions in the country. 


The notice indicates that some of the sick pigs were slaughtered earlier than scheduled. It stated, "the pork has entered the market and poses a danger to consumers' health."


Further, the administration urged local law enforcement officers to inspect all purchases, ask for safety certificates for the pork and to make purchase and sales ledgers. The announcement further said that problematic pork should be seized and destroyed.


Cai Jun, director of the publicity department of the administration said, "we issued the notice to ensure a safe pork supply during the coming Spring Festival."


Jun said, "last month, due to the severe cold, diseases spread among pigs in several parts of the country."


However, neither the notice nor Jun disclosed specific places where the diseased pork was found or the type of diseases that were detected.


According to Cheng Guoshun, executive director of the Chinese Farmers Research Center at the Zhou Enlai School of Government, Nankai University diseased pork in the market might hurt rural consumers far more than their urban counterparts as food inspections in the urban areas are relatively stricter, illegal purchases are less likely to occur.

Video >

Follow Us

FacebookTwitterLinkedIn