October 17, 2019
Philippines: Pork products from Luzon pulled out in Mandaue City on ASF concerns
The Mandaue City Veterinary Office (MCVO) on the island of Cebu has pulled out grocery pork products manufactured in Luzon, SunStar Cebu reported on Tuesday.
Dr. Karen Merilles, MCVO head, said that these pork products from Luzon are not allowed to be displayed and will be sent back to their suppliers.
The MCVO has been closely monitoring pork products that had been sold in the market due to the outbreak of African swine fever (ASF), and would regularly visit grocery establishments for this purpose.
Merilles has not given an estimate volume of pork products that were pulled out.
She said the managers of these supermarkets claimed that the policy only focuses on canned pork products.
"Some of them doesn't know that siomai (pork dumplings) and siopao (steamed buns) were included," Merilles added.
In addition, the MCVO is monitoring all ports of Mandaue City to prevent the smuggling of meat from Luzon.
The MCVO is supported by the Department of Agriculture, Philippine Coast Guards, representatives from Mandaue City, and other local government units such as Consolacion.