September 30, 2011
 

US hog inventory shows increase

 

 

US inventory of all hogs and pigs totalled 66.6 million head, up 1% from September 1, 2010 and 3% from June 1, 2011, according to the National Agricultural Statistics Service, Agricultural Statistics Board and USDA.

 

Totalling 5.81 million head, the breeding inventory was up 1% from last year and up slightly from the previous quarter. Market hog inventory, totalling 60.8 million head, was up 1% from last year, and up 3% from last quarter.

 

The June-August 2011 pig crop, totalling 29.1 million head, was up 1% from 2010 and up 1% from 2009. Sows farrowing during this period totalled 2.90 million head, down 1% from 2010 and down 2% from 2009. Sows farrowed during this quarter represented 50% of the breeding herd. The average pigs saved per litter was a record high 10.03 for the June-August 2011 period, compared to 9.81 last year. Pigs saved per litter by size of operation ranged from 7.50 for operations with 1-99 hogs and pigs to 10.10 for operations with more than 5,000 hogs and pigs.

 

During the September-November 2011 quarter, US hog producers plan to have 2.87 million sows farrow down slightly from the actual farrowings during the same period in 2010, and down 1% from 2009. Intended farrowings for December-February 2012, at 2.86 million sows, are up slightly from 2011, but down 1% from 2010.

 

The total number of hogs under contract owned by operations with more than 5,000 head, but rose by contractees, accounted for 46% of the total US hog inventory and was up from 43% last year.