May 22, 2019
Philippine swine and cattle production rise in Q1
In its "Swine Situation Report," the PSA said Soccsksargen (South Cotabato, Cotabato, Sultan Kudarat and Sarangani provinces, and General Santos City, or Region 12) recorded the highest production growth of 9.3% to 31,080 tonnes.
Central Luzon posted the biggest output at 111,600 tonnes during the period, followed by Calabarzon (Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal and Quezon) and Northern Mindanao with 92,270 and 50,260 tonnes, respectively. The three regions accounted for 44.9% of the country's total swine production.
Total swine inventory as of April 1 was estimated at 12.73 million head, slightly down from last year's 12.75 million head.
"Population of swine in backyard farms at 8.06 million heads contracted by 1.0% from the previous year's head count of 8.14 million heads. On the other hand, stocks in commercial farms at 4.67 million heads expanded by 1.2% from the 2018 level of 4.61 million heads," PSA said.
Average farmgate price of live hogs in Q1 fell by 2.7% to P110.52 (US$2.10) per kilogram from P113.56 per kilo in 2018. "During the first quarter of 2019, the highest average farmgate price was recorded in February at P111.20 per kilogram, liveweight. The lowest price was noted in March at P109.76 per kilogram, liveweight," PSA said.
Meanwhile, in PSA's "Cattle Situation Report", cattle production reached 61,310 tonnes during the period from 61,260 tonnes a year earlier.
Nine regions posted growth in production. "The highest increment in production was reported in Northern Mindanao, from 9,807 metric tonnes, liveweight in 2018 to 10,027 metric tonnes, liveweight in 2019," PSA said.
Northern Mindanao topped production at 10,027 tonnes. This was followed by Ilocos Region and Central Visayas with 6,990 and 6,074 tonnes, respectively. These regions contributed 37.7% to the total local cattle output.
As of the start of April, the country's total cattle inventory was at 2.54 million head, down 0.7% from the previous year's 2.55 million heads.
"The inventory of cows as of April 1 was estimated at 1.10 million heads. This accounted for 43.4% of the total cattle stocks, while the remaining 56.6% were contributed by heifer, yearling, bulls, and others (castrated and ready to breed bulls)," PSA said.
The average farmgate price of cattle in Q1 rose by 3.3% to P108.50 per kilo from P105.07 per kilo last year.