April 4, 2012
The deputy head of the department of economic development and agricultural market at the Ministry of Agricultural Policy and Food of Ukraine, Serhiy Petrenko, said that wheat harvest in Ukraine in 2012 is expected to reach 8-14 million tonnes.
"The gross harvest of grain crops this season is expected at 45-50 million tonnes, including 8-14 million tonnes of wheat. The total area under grain crops in 2012 is 15.3 million hectares, of which four million hectares are spring crops," he said.
He said he was confident that Ukraine would manage to compensate for crop losses due to the expansion of the area under corn.
- EU wheat prices fall due to possible de-escalation of Ukraine-Russia crisis
- Ukraine to halt wheat exports starting November 15
- Ukraine's grain exports rise 14% on high wheat, barley shipments
- Ukraine's grain exports rise 11% on higher wheat shipments
- Ukraine expects 20 million tonnes wheat harvest in 2013